- Length:20 pages (5560 words)
- Available in:Microsoft Word DOCXApple PagesRTF
If the document isn’t right for your circumstances for any reason, just tell us and we’ll refund you in full immediately.
We avoid legal terminology unless necessary. Plain English makes our documents easy to understand, easy to edit and more likely to be accepted.
You don’t need legal knowledge to use our documents. We explain what to edit and how in the guidance notes included at the end of the document.
We offer free support by email in respect of editing the document. You can also use our Document Review Service if you want to our legal team to check that the document will do as you intend.
Our documents comply with the latest relevant law. Our lawyers regularly review how new law affects each document in our library.
About this workshop lease
This is a comprehensive and easy to use short term lease for letting a workshop, factory, warehouse or other light industrial unit. The property should be self-contained, that is, it shouldn't share services or facilities with other properties owned by the same landlord. This agreement could be used for a range of different properties, from a car repair garage to a machining workshop to an aircraft hangar.
The document has been drawn to help protect the landlord's interests as greatly as possible.
Similar lease agreements
- There is no provision for service charge recovery in this document. If you need this, perhaps because the unit shares services with others forming a small business park, see Business lease: unit on industrial park.
- If the property will be used as offices, Office lease agreement may be more appropriate.
- If the property is mainly land, with plant or buildings, Business lease: land, either vacant or with plant or buildings may be more appropriate.
Plain English is used throughout except where it is necessary to use legal terms common in this field of law.
The key features of this template can be summarised as:
- term of 5 years or under (often called a short term lease)
- standard guarantor
- options for transfer or assignment to another party
- sub-letting forbidden
- option to include a break clause for premature termination by the tenant
- a choice of options for rent reviews
This document has been drawn so as to make it applicable to the vast majority of leasing scenarios without making it difficult to edit.
The law in this workshop lease
This lease is regulated primarily by:
- the Landlord and Tenant Acts 1860-2005;
- in particular the Landlord and Tenant (Amendment) Act 1980; and
- the Landlord and Tenant (Amendment) Act 1994
In balancing the codes with the law and the interest of the Landlord, we have followed the codes where reasonable, but have preferred the interest of the Landlord where there may be a difference.
Lease template contents
This workshop lease is comprehensive, providing alternative choices for important decisions.
The contents include 25 provisions and 1 schedule covering:
- rent: period, amount, other payments, interest on overdue rent, periodic review
- condition and repair
- tenant's positive obligations
- restrictions on tenant: prohibited activities on the property
- signs and advertisements
- goods and vehicles
- assignment of the lease
- indemnities by the tenant
- security deposit
- access for landlord
- termination: default notice by landlord; provision for premature termination (a break clause)
- Schedule 1: rights reserved