Restaurant lease agreement
This letting agreement is for a property that has a commercial kitchen. Most commonly, this lease would be used for a restaurant, cafe, delicatessen or fast food outlet. The lease allows for the property to have space used for other business purposes as well. Features: short term: 1 to 5 years; guarantor; break provision; rent review options; option for assignment; sub-letting not allowed; draft agreement for security deposit; schedule covering kitchen and cooking equipment.
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this restaurant lease
This agreement should be used to let a food retail unit such as a restaurant, cafe, delicatessen, or fast food outlet. It may be part of a parade of other shops owned by other landlords, or it may be stand-alone. Of importance, since there are no service charge recovery provisions, is that the restaurant should not share services or facilities with neighbouring units.
The restaurant or cafe may have additional space used by the tenant for other business purposes, such as offices or storage. This lease does not cover additional space used for residential use by the tenant, although Net Lawman does provide one that does (see below).
The document has been drawn to help protect the landlord's interests as greatly as possible.
Similar commercial lease agreements
- If the property will be used as a standard shop, use Shop lease agreement or Business lease: shop in parade. The latter contains service charge recovery provisions.
- If the tenant will also live at the property, use Mixed use lease: shop in parade with residential space.
Plain English is used throughout except where it is necessary to use legal terms common in this field of law.
The key features of this business lease can be summarised as:
- term of 5 years or under (often called a short term lease)
- standard guarantor
- options for transfer or assignment to another party
- sub-letting forbidden
- option to include a break clause for premature termination by the tenant
- a choice of options for rent reviews
- schedule covering use of a commercial kitchen
This document has been drawn so as to make it applicable to the vast majority of leasing scenarios for restaurants and cafes without making it difficult to edit.
The law in this restaurant lease
This lease is regulated primarily by:
- the Landlord and Tenant Acts 1860-2005;
- in particular the Landlord and Tenant (Amendment) Act 1980; and
- the Landlord and Tenant (Amendment) Act 1994
In balancing the codes with the law and the interest of the Landlord, we have followed the codes where reasonable, but have preferred the interest of the Landlord where there may be a difference.
This restaurant lease is comprehensive, providing alternative choices for important decisions.
The contents include 24 provisions and 3 schedules covering:
- rent: period, amount, other payments, interest on overdue rent, periodic review
- condition and repair
- tenant's positive obligations
- restrictions on tenant: prohibited activities on the property
- signs and advertisements
- assignment of the lease
- indemnities by the tenant
- security deposit
- access for landlord
- termination: default notice by landlord; provision for premature termination (a break clause)
- Schedule 1: rights reserved
- Schedule 2: draft agreement for a security deposit
- Schedule 2: kitchen and cooking equipment
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current Irish law.
What other customers thought
Average customer rating
By Cathal Gaffney 03 September 2017
Very good. I needed an agreement at short notice and found this surprisingly helpful. Plain english is better than Victorian english.
By Neil O Donnell 13 January 2014
Great, was exactly what I was looking for.
"I will certainly be advertising your company to other business colleagues.
The lease was like picking up an old favourite novel and understanding everything from the first turn of the page. So easy to read and complete, what a joy and your site was recommended to me by another colleague.
Hope this brings a smile to your face knowing you are making business life easy for people and furthermore the price was just as pleasing.
"Eileen L (Introsports Limited)
"We find this site an excellent source for legal documents which we require from time to time in our business. We would highly recommend using this site. "Jonathan Murphy
"I have found the product exactly what I wanted and the notes helpful - as well as it being easy to locate, buy and download. There should be a better way of making your product more widely known. I have recently had experience of a tailor-made lease and this left a lot to be desired - whereas your product is well researched and ticks all the boxes. "Ted