Option to buy land and property: additional price
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this document
This option contract is for a situation where the ultimate sale price is not known in advance but is calculated after the event. For example, the buyer of the option wants to attempt to obtain planning permission. The seller wants a fair price - he does not want to see the buyer walk away with too large a share of “his” land value.
The price paid to the seller is calculated as a proportion of the increased value. The exact proportion is a matter for negotiation, reflecting the difficulty of raising the value and the risks and cost to the buyer in time and money.
The agreement provides for the option holder's task to be specified. It could relate to the grant of planning permission, the award of a licence, the outcome of an election, or a geological report.
An alternative agreement for this situation would be a conditional sale contract. For the option holder, the attraction of this agreement is that he can still choose to walk away even if the awaited condition is fulfilled.
When to use this agreement
This agreement is likely to be used in situations where the outcome of the event for which the buyer hopes is unknown, like a residential planning application involving negotiations and a gradual approach to a satisfactory outcome (or appeal). It maximises the seller’s opportunity to share the profit without putting the optioner at excessive risk of over-paying.
If the outcome is specific, like an application for a waste disposal licence, then the ultimate value can also be calculated accurately, so the sale price can be specific. In that case the holder would prefer an option to purchase with extensions to the term or maybe one with no frills.
A buyer might use this agreement to give a property seller an additional incentive to act in some way to achieve the higher value outcome, or a seller might use it to ensure he or she shares in the whole profit.
The present or proposed use of the land are not relevant to the agreement, so you can use this document for any real property transaction. You might use it for buying land or buildings with a view to development before:
- planning permission (or other licence) has been granted
- finding a tenant
- negotiating with a local authority for a change in status of a listed part
- a land or building survey has been completed
- financing has been secured
This agreement can be used for securing an option on any type of land and/or buildings, and with a view to buying the property for any reason.
These might include:
- house building
- redevelopment of light industrial units
- refurbishment of offices
- development of an arcade of shops
The document also includes an exercise letter template, which can be used by a buyer before the expiry date stated within the agreement.
Property options are an area of law in which Net Lawman specialises. You can find our complete range of templates here.
- Sets out a clear and logical pathway for exercise
- All variables are clear and in one place
- Suitable for a variety of land types and situations
- Includes an exercise letter template
- User friendly: includes invaluable user notes to guide you through to successful execution
- Property and option details
- The essence of the agreement
- Calculation of price or additional price or extended option
- Buyers warranties
- Sellers warranties as to the current planning status of the land
- A director’s guarantee, in case the seller is a company
- Inclusion of any unregistered rights over adjacent land
- A detailed sale contract incorporating the Law Society’s Conditions of Sale (2017 Edition)
- A separate notice letter to exercise the option
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current Irish law.
"I will certainly be advertising your company to other business colleagues.
The lease was like picking up an old favourite novel and understanding everything from the first turn of the page. So easy to read and complete, what a joy and your site was recommended to me by another colleague.
Hope this brings a smile to your face knowing you are making business life easy for people and furthermore the price was just as pleasing.
"Eileen L (Introsports Limited)
"I appreciate your patience. I have to say though it took me a while (I had almost given up) to come across your internet site, but I was quite impressed with the manoverabilty of the site itself and the services it offers. Normally I am very cautious about internet services and am pleasantly impressed by you professional response. Without doubt I will defintely be recommending yourselves to others."Razwana
"Very comprehensive and easy to read documents. Highly recommend. "Steadfast Building Services