Directors service agreement (employment contract)
This directors service agreement is a complete legal and practical framework for the employment of any executive director, whether on a running contract or on a fixed term. It is an employment contract for senior level staff that also defines the relationship between the director and the organisation. Provision for remuneration and common benefits is included, as is strong protection of company information.
- Solicitor approved
- Plain English makes editing easy
- Guidance notes included
- Money back guarantee
About this directors service agreement
Today a company is under a statutory obligation to provide written terms of employment to a director, as to any other employee. It is advantageous to both sides to set down the package in an employment contract (for directors, also known as a directors service agreement), rather than in just a few words from the company.
This directors service agreement provides a complete legal and practical framework for any executive director. It covers all the requirements for an employment contract of a board member as well as clarifying the relationship between the company and the director so as to prevent conflicts of interest. The service contract is particularly strong on the protection of confidentiality and company secrets.
The service agreement is flexible and can be used whether:
- the term of employment is fixed or running;
- the organisation is a company, charity or NGO (in the case of the latter two, the employee will be director level equivalent).
All common perquisites such as salary and benefits are also covered. Use of plain English makes editing easy and allows it to be understood by all parties.
This document provides a balance between protection for the director and for the company. If there is a difference in interests, we have favoured the company. Some of these provisions are required to comply with the law. The explanatory notes, which come with these documents, will guide you as to the importance of specific issues.
When to use this directors service agreement
- Appropriate for any director (including a Managing Director, CEO or Chairman) of any company;
- Can also be used for charities and NGOs where the level of senior management is equivalent to the directors of a company;
- Can be used for an employed part-time director.
Employment contract features and contents
- Protects the board from criticism;
- Protects the company from claims both before an Industrial Tribunal and in court;
- Protects the director from unreasonable demands;
- Up to date with the latest changes in company law;
- Provides a "shopping list" of possible director perquisites;
- Helps the company to comply with employment regulations;
- Includes principal provisions of the employment law;
- All standard terms for a written statement (provision of which is a legal requirement);
- Strong on protection of employer's confidential information;
- Structured so as to minimise the administrative burden of legal compliance.
The directors service agreement comprises 30 paragraphs and a schedule:
- Start and continuity;
- Job title and description;
- Place and hours of work;
- Leave for holidays and other reasons;
- Sickness or other absence;
- Health insurance;
- Liability insurance;
- Company car;
- Director's responsibilities;
- Other business and employment;
- No competition;
- Intellectual property;
- Staff handbook and company policies;
- Disciplinary and grievance procedures;
- Termination (of employment or fixed term);
- Arrangements during notice period;
- Procedure after termination;
- Summary termination;
- Reconstruction or amalgamation;
- Data protection;
- Severance and invalidity;
- Schedule: Bonus system.
This document was written by a solicitor for Net Lawman. It complies with current Irish law.
How other customers rated this document
Average customer rating
By Mike Byrt 17 July 2015
The template was excellent, exactly what I was looking for in plain simple English.
I am guilty of not reading the document through before starting to modify it, so I didn't realize there were explanatory notes at the end until I actually got there, so maybe a note to flag that there is more information available later would be helpful for users like me.
"I liked the document and am a big supporter of templates and independence from solicitors where possible. There are many things we can do ourselves with pro forma templates such as those from your company. The key is to know when to get professional advice and when to go alone. I'll keep an eye for future opportunities to do business with you."KP, Dublin
"I found information I had been looking for on citizens information.ie about capabilities of the power of attorney, and revoking it, which I could not find elsewhere. Extremely useful, lifesaver "Rory Sheridan
"Very comprehensive and easy to read documents. Highly recommend. "Steadfast Building Services